Wednesday, August 12, 2015

8/16/15 Mass Mysteries: Seriously people, I'm not joking. -Jesus

Welcome back to Mass Mysteries! In this weekly series, I breeze through the readings for Sunday Mass to help you and I prepare our minds so we can teach our children. I throw out whatever random knowledge or insights I may have so that you can be an instrument of catechesis for your children. If you know more than I, please comment below and add your own instruction for us all.

Mass Mysteries for the Littlest of the Littles
Jesus is still talking about the Bread of Life! If we eat Jesus' Body and Blood, we will live forever with Him in Heaven.



Proverbs 9:1-6 
Wisdom has built her house;
    she has hewn her seven pillars.

She has slaughtered her beasts; she has mixed her wine;
    she has also set her table.

She has sent out her young women to call
    from the highest places in the town,
“Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!”
    To him who lacks sense she says,
“Come, eat of my bread

    and drink of the wine I have mixed.
Leave your simple ways, and live,
    and walk in the way of insight.”

ESV



The first time that I read through this, I thought, "Huh?" 



On a second reading--I gleaned some wisdom. (Is that punny? Anyone catch that? Glean?) Ok...moving on.



The book of Proverbs was written by Solomon. He was David's son--so he is Jesus' great-great-great-great...Grandpop. Solomon famously asked God for the gift of Wisdom instead of the fame or wealth that many other kings (and people) may ask for. He was given that wisdom, and rewarded with the wealth and fame anyway! 



This passage from Proverbs is personifying Wisdom, and she is leading people to 'insight' or 'understanding.' Wisdom is asking people eat and drink of her to gain understanding. Jesus' asks the same--eat and drink of his body and blood to gain understanding and life with him.






Psalm 34:2-7
R. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
I will bless the LORD at all times;
his praise shall be ever in my mouth.
Let my soul glory in the LORD;
the lowly will hear me and be glad.
R. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
Glorify the LORD with me,
let us together extol his name.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
R. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
Look to him that you may be radiant with joy,
and your faces may not blush with shame.
When the poor one called out, the LORD heard,
and from all his distress he saved him.
R. Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.

Last week, we sang Psalm 34. This week we sing Psalm 34. Next week, we will sing...you guessed it, Psalm 34! It's as if there is a theme that we should be noticing!






Ephesians 5:15-20
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

ESV  

Our second reading is from Ephesians again. Saint Paul has some great advice today about singing and praising the Lord! He asks us to sing to the Lord and 'give thanks always.' These are easy phrases to teach our children! I love singing with little kids. They get so excited and they have no fear of judgement because they don't have the 'beautiful voices' they want. They have such happy, joyful voices--perfect for praising God!

Last week, I was talking to some friends about my difficulty with Prayer of Adoration. It doesn't come naturally to me. I feel awkward and self-conscious. However, I LOVE to sing, and singing/adoration is something I can easily do with my kiddos. Here's an easy-peasy song to tie in to  this reading. 

Father, we adore you.
Lay our lives before you.
How we love you.




John 6:51-58
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 

As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”

ESV

For the last few weeks, Jesus has continually said, "I am the Bread of Life." He continues today, with even more bolder terms. He's talking about flesh and blood. Those are words that kind of gross me out in any conversation, and now Jesus is reiterating that we need to eat of that flesh. This is one of the tenets of our Catholic faith. We believe that Jesus truly  meant for us to eat of His Body and drink go His Blood. However, what we eat and drink at Mass doesn't look like flesh and blood (thank goodness!). Through the miracle of transubstantiation, and using fancy philosophical terms, the substance becomes Jesus' body and blood while the accidents stay the same. I think I have that right...there is more information at the USCCB if you're curious.



 

Saint of the Week: Saint Pius X









That's all folks! It's time to print your Catholic Kids Bulletins for this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment