Friday, April 14, 2017

Seven Quick Takes #4

{1}
Good Friday! I'm hungry...as I should be, I suppose. We're going to dye Easter Eggs tonight, then hopefully I'll have the motivation to do the Stations of the Cross with the kiddos. I might try to do the Active Stations...but it feels weird to use a powerpoint at my house. Is that strange?


{2}
Did you notice that there are coloring & activity pages for Good Friday and the Easter Vigil in the bulletins this month? If you're taking your kiddos to those services, the activity pages can help them focus during the extra services.


{3}
Last week, my students were working on the Stations of the Cross project so we spent the week in the Media Center. "I Am Malala (Young Readers Edition)" was sitting on the top of the book shelf, so being the reader that I am, I grabbed it and read a few pages during passing period. OMG...it's so good. There's a grown up version and a young readers edition. I tried to read the grown up version since I am, in fact, a grown up. BUT...it was too full of history and politics for me to get pulled in so I switched back to the young readers edition which focuses more on the story. I would highly recommend it--it's definitely opened my eyes to the struggles of the people in Pakistan.

{4}
I've been listening to "The Lilac Girls" and I just finished it this morning. The first few chapters are slow moving and DARK so I almost quit listening a few times. However, I had nothing else loaded onto my phone, so I continued on and I'm so glad I did! The second half of the book is amazing. I've read quite a few stories based on the holocaust (like this, and this, and this) but "The Lilac Girls" focused on different aspects than I've seen in other books. Fascinating.

{5}
Abby turned one this week! We're celebrating her birthday on Easter and I'm going to attempt to make this cake for her. We call her "Petunia" so we thought a flower cake would be appropriate. (Why do we call her "Petunia"? IDK...my husband gives weird nicknames).

{6}
I printed and laminated this Easter Spot It game to play at a Junior High retreat next week. I bought this 3" craft punch to cut them out, and with the help of my 9yo, we had 4 sets of cards cut out pretty quickly. It cut through the laminated cardstock really easily!

{7}
My sister and I took our kiddos to the zoo this week, and since we're really cool people, we noticed this flower and wondered what it was. Anyone know?

"Mom--you're weird. No one cares about the flower!"




No comments:

Post a Comment