Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tomie de Paola: Legend of the Poinsettia

I'm trying to read a Christmas book to Curly every day leading up to Christmas.  She has enjoyed some books more than others (Frosty the Snowman and Away in a Manger are the favorites so far).  We also read Tomie de Paola's The Legend of the Poinsettia.  As we were reading, I came up with a cute idea to get Curly a little more excited about the book.  I love de Paola's books, but this one was a bit above Curly's head. 

At one point in the book, the little girl gathers some weeds to give to baby Jesus and they miraculously bloom as she is praying and become beautiful poinsettias.  As you can see in the pictures below, I had Curly cut out and color a poinsettia flower, then covered a paper towel roll with green paper.  The colorful poinsettia can discappear in the green weeds and miraculously bloom while she is in prayer.  Curly loved it!



Safety first, Curly.





Right before this picture was taken, she was on her knees praying and waiting for me to make the poinsettia appear.  When she realized I had the camera, she collapsed to the floor to goof off for the camera.  The praying really was precious to see, sorry I can't share it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment